BLM Vale District Conducting Emergency Wild Horse Gather

The gather comes in response to the Cherry Road Wildfire, which has burned 90% of the area in which a herd resides.
Share
Favorite
Close

No account yet? Register

ADVERTISEMENT

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Oregon’s Vale District has announced a plan to conduct an emergency gather of wild horses in the Three Fingers herd management area (HMA).

The Cherry Road Wildfire, that started Aug. 21, has burned approximately 90% of the Wildhorse Basin pasture, where more than half of the estimated 279-horse herd resides. The remaining horses reside in the Riverside pasture. Currently, the remaining 10% of the Wildhorse Basin pasture has limited water resources or forage.

For this reason, the BLM’s Vale District is planning to gather approximately 150 wild horses and transport them to the Wild Horse Corral Facility in Hines, Oregon. It is estimated that between 80 and 120 wild horses will remain in the Riverside pasture in the southern end of the HMA.

The removed horses will be prepared to be included in the adoption program. The appropriate management level for the area is 75 to 150 wild horses

Create a free account with TheHorse.com to view this content.

TheHorse.com is home to thousands of free articles about horse health care. In order to access some of our exclusive free content, you must be signed into TheHorse.com.

Start your free account today!

Already have an account?
and continue reading.

Share

Written by:

Related Articles

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with

FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com

Sponsored Content

Weekly Poll

sponsored by:

What lameness issues has your horse experienced? Select all that apply.
248 votes · 497 answers

Readers’ Most Popular

Sign In

Don’t have an account? Register for a FREE account here.

Need to update your account?

You need to be logged in to fill out this form

Create a free account with TheHorse.com!