New Test Barn, Chain of Custody Recommendations Released
The Racing Medication and Testing Consortium (RMTC) and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association (NTRA) on Dec. 7 released a new set of test barn and chain of custody recommendations designed to encourage the use of best practices at racetracks.
The living document is a joint initiative of the RMTC and the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance and was announced at the University of Arizona Race Track Industry Program’s annual Global Symposium on Racing and Gaming in Tucson, Arizona.
The document, Test Barn Chain of Custody and Procedures: Considerations and Recommendations, includes best practice protocols covering:
- Identification and supervision of horses to be tested;
- Types of samples to be collected;
- Chain of custody, security, identification, and recordkeeping within the test barn;
- Sample collection and management;
- Separate procedures for total carbon dioxide (TCO2) testing;
- Out-of-competition sampling;
- Facility design and equipment;
- Surveillance; and
Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with