Your Guide to Equine Health Care

Poll Recap: Free Horses

Of the 502 respondents, 348 (69%) said they have acquired a horse for free.

No account yet? Register


Have you ever gotten a horse for “free”? While owning and caring for horses is never really free, some situations require owners to find a new home for their horses, and some choose to do so at no cost to the new owner.

In last week’s online poll, we asked our readers if they’ve ever gotten a horse for “free” (without the previous owner asking for compensation). More than 500 readers responded and we’ve tallied the results!

Of the 502 respondents, 348 (69%) said they had received a horse for free, while the remaining 154 individuals (31%) had not.

Additionally, more than 100 people shared their thoughts and experiences related to free

Create a free account with to view this content. is home to thousands of free articles about horse health care. In order to access some of our exclusive free content, you must be signed into

Start your free account today!

Already have an account?
and continue reading.


No account yet? Register

Written by:

Jennifer Whittle, Web Producer, is a lifelong horse owner who competes with her Appaloosas in Western performance events. She is a University of Kentucky graduate and holds a bachelor’s degree in Community Communications and Leadership Development, and master’s degree in Career, Technical, and Leadership Education. She currently lives on a small farm in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.

Related Articles

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with

FREE weekly newsletters from

Sponsored Content

Weekly Poll

sponsored by:

This poll is no longer accepting votes

Which hoof problem do you encounter most often in your horses?
342 votes · 342 answers

Readers’ Most Popular

Sign In

Don’t have an account? Register for a FREE account here.

Need to update your account?

You need to be logged in to fill out this form

Create a free account with!