What’s the Difference Between Gastrogard and Ulcergard?

One is prescribed by your veterinarian, the other is available over the counter. Find out more in our Q&A.

No account yet? Register


Photo: Erica Larson/The Horse
Q: What’s the difference between Gastrogard (omeprazole) and Ulcegard (omeprazole), and why do I have to get one from my veterinarian while the other is available at my local feed store?

A: That’s a great question—I know it can be a confusing issue for horse owners.

While both products contain the same specially formulated omeprazole, are proven and FDA-approved, and are manufactured and distributed by the same company, there is a difference between the two.

Gastrogard is used to treat existing equine stomach ulcers. To make a diagnosis, your veterinarian may examine your horse by running an endoscopic camera through its nose, down the esophagus, and into the stomach. If an endoscope is not available, your veterinarian might make a presumptive diagnosis based upon the horse’s history and clinical signs

Create a free account with TheHorse.com to view this content.

TheHorse.com is home to thousands of free articles about horse health care. In order to access some of our exclusive free content, you must be signed into TheHorse.com.

Start your free account today!

Already have an account?
and continue reading.


Written by:

Related Articles

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with

FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com

Sponsored Content

Weekly Poll

sponsored by:

What lameness issues has your horse experienced? Select all that apply.
255 votes · 512 answers

Readers’ Most Popular

Sign In

Don’t have an account? Register for a FREE account here.

Need to update your account?

You need to be logged in to fill out this form

Create a free account with TheHorse.com!