A new year often means new beginnings and resolutions to do things better going forward.

Have you set any horse-related resolutions for 2018? We posed this question to our readers in last week’s online poll. Nearly 200 people responded, and we’ve tallied the results!

Of the 196 respondents, 101 (52%) said they’ve set a horse-related resolution for the new year, while the remaining 95 respondents (48%) have not.

Additionally, more than 40 people commented about their horsey resolutions:

Photo: TheHorse.com

Many respondents shared their horse-related resolutions:

  • “Same as last year: Take good care of my girls.”
  • “Ride more!”
  • “I have a 5-year-old that needs to see the world. We’ve got to get out away from home this year.”
  • “Ride more consistently.”
  • “Better knowledge and ask questions.”
  • “Better communication with my trainer.”
  • “Yes, I want to ride more and lose weight!”
  • “Endurance rides!”
  • “Ride both boys equally and with purpose.”
  • “Break my horse to ride using clicker training.”
  • “Exercise to build core strength.”
  • “My Quarter Horse blew a heel crack on New Year’s Day, so my resolution is to grow out the crack and get him sound again.”
  • “Train and ride my new horse.”
  • “Maintain a steadfast routine for grooming and training.”
  • “I am going to do more trail riding.”
  • “Get hay analyzed and balance grain to it.”
  • “I am going to breed one of my mares, and working more with all of the horses instead of just working one.”
  • “To expand my comfort zone and conquer fear.”
  • “Enjoy my horses as much as possible!”
  • “Ride more and train three mares to drive.”
  • “Try to keep weight down when spring grass arrives”
  • “I want to start riding again with my best friend at her stable.”
  • “Ride without stirrups more often.”
  • “To learn everything I can about PPID.”
  • “Get my 19-year-old gelding in shape and joints free of pain.”

A few people said they have not set resolutions for the New Year:

  • “I don’t do resolutions.”
  • “I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. I never follow through with them, so why bother?”
  • “I never make New Year resolutions”
  • “I make plans and have goals year-round.”

If you’re still searching for resolution ideas, check out some of the top horse New Year’s resolutions from our readers, get tips for different ways to improve your horse’s nutritional status this year, and make sure you’re prepared for trailer and roadside emergencies, all at TheHorse.com!

This week, we want to know: how do you keep thawed water available to your horse during cold weather? Vote now and share your comments at TheHorse.com/polls!

The results of our weekly polls are published in The Horse Health E-Newsletter, which offers news on diseases, veterinary research, health events, and in-depth articles on common equine health conditions and what you can do to recognize, avoid, or treat them. Sign up for our e-newsletters on our homepage and look for a new poll on TheHorse.com.