Eight Massachusetts Horses Positive for EEE
On Sept. 9, the Massachusetts Health and Human Services (MHHS) announced eight confirmed cases of Eastern equine encephalomyelitis (EEE).
The affected horses came from five counties:
- Essex (town of Methuen, with onset of clinical signs Aug. 22);
- Hampshire (Granby, onset of clinical signs Aug. 8);
- Middlesex (Holliston, onset of clinical signs Aug. 23);
- Norfolk (Medfield, onset of clinical signs Aug. 24); and
- Worcester (Uxbridge, Brookfield, and Douglas, onset of clinical signs Aug. 16, 22, and 27).
Michael Cahill, director of the Division of Animal Health (DAH) at the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR), said none of the horses were vaccinated against EEE, and all were
Create a free account with TheHorse.com to view this content.
Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with