Travel Documents: Know What You Need to Travel with Horses

Find out what veterinary documents you’ll need to secure before you travel with horses.

No account yet? Register


Every year horse owners Cathy and Glenn Price log many miles on equestrian trails that wind through state parks in Kentucky, Tennessee, and throughout the Midwest. And their horses have the travel documents to prove it.

"We carry certificates of veterinary inspection (CVI, health certificates) and Coggins testing paperwork for both our horses whenever we travel with them," Cathy Price says. "State park operators will not issue a campsite without seeing the documents first."

Virtually all U.S. states require that owners or professional shippers moving horses within and across state lines carry the documentation Price describes–proof that each animal has tested negative for equine infectious anemia and has been examined by a veterinarian within a certain time period prior to travel. Here we’ll delve into what it takes to travel with our horses

Create a free account with to view this content. is home to thousands of free articles about horse health care. In order to access some of our exclusive free content, you must be signed into

Start your free account today!

Already have an account?
and continue reading.


Written by:

Pat Raia is a veteran journalist who enjoys covering equine welfare, industry, and news. In her spare time, she enjoys riding her Tennessee Walking Horse, Sonny.

Related Articles

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with

FREE weekly newsletters from

Sponsored Content

Weekly Poll

sponsored by:

Where do you go to find information on pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction (PPID)? Select all that apply.
91 votes · 158 answers

Readers’ Most Popular

Sign In

Don’t have an account? Register for a FREE account here.

Need to update your account?

You need to be logged in to fill out this form

Create a free account with!