2010’s Top Equine Reproduction Studies (AAEP 2010)

The science of equine reproduction enjoyed many significant advancements in 2010, and these were discussed during the popular Kester News Hour session of the American Association of Equine Practitioners convention, held Dec. 6-10 in Baltimore, Md. Margo L. Macpherson, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACT, associate professor and section chief in Reproduction at the University of Florida, and past president of the
Share
Favorite
Close

No account yet? Register

ADVERTISEMENT

The science of equine reproduction enjoyed many significant advancements in 2010, and these were discussed during the popular Kester News Hour session of the American Association of Equine Practitioners convention, held Dec. 6-10 in Baltimore, Md. Margo L. Macpherson, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACT, associate professor and section chief in Reproduction at the University of Florida, and past president of the American College of Theriogenologists, presented the top published stories in this area during the convention.

Oviductal Patency

In a study Macpherson termed "attention-getting," researchers inserted tiny colored fluorescent beads into mares' oviducts, then performed uterine lavage one and two days later, to assess whether the oviducts were patent (open, or allowing the beads to pass along the oviduct to the uterus). Beads were only recovered from 40% of mares, suggesting blockage of one or both oviducts was present in the other 60% of mares (which averaged 8 years of age compared to 4 years for the patent mares).

"While this isn't a first line of defense for the barren mare, this novel approach could provide answers for mares with long-standing, unexplained infertility," Macpherson comented. "Similar studies have also shown that oviductal flushing can sometimes resolve obstruction and result in future pregnancy

Create a free account with TheHorse.com to view this content.

TheHorse.com is home to thousands of free articles about horse health care. In order to access some of our exclusive free content, you must be signed into TheHorse.com.

Start your free account today!

Already have an account?
and continue reading.

Share

Written by:

Christy West has a BS in Equine Science from the University of Kentucky, and an MS in Agricultural Journalism from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Related Articles

Stay on top of the most recent Horse Health news with

FREE weekly newsletters from TheHorse.com

Sponsored Content

Weekly Poll

sponsored by:

What do you think: Can pituitary pars intermedia dysfunction (PPID) be managed by medication alone?
159 votes · 159 answers

Readers’ Most Popular

Sign In

Don’t have an account? Register for a FREE account here.

Need to update your account?

You need to be logged in to fill out this form

Create a free account with TheHorse.com!